Did you know that cooking is the #1 cause of home fires and injuries??? Here are a few tips to help you stay safe while in the kitchen:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or boiling food. If you have to leave the room, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Don't use the oven or stovetop if you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol.
- If you are baking, roasting, or simmering food, check it regularly and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking something.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stovetop.
- Keep pets away from cooking surfaces and nearby countertops to prevent them from knocking things into burners.
Last but not least, ALWAYS keep one of these in your home: